We’re back with another *adorable* baby accessory for the 2-part tutorial series!
Last week we shared a baby headband tutorial by Danica Willig Designs. Today we have baby bunny and bear hats, also by Danica Willig Designs. If you thought the baby headband was cute, wait ’til you make one of these!
Pictured above: bear hat (left), bunny hat (right). This tutorial will cover how to make both versions.
If it’s your first time working with knits on a sewing machine, Danica recommends using a ballpoint needle (“jersey” or “stretch” needles are comparable) and setting your machine to a narrow zigzag stitch or reinforced straight stitch (2½-3 mm length). Test on a piece of scrap fabric and lower your bobbin tension if adjustments are needed. Our friend Cheryl at SewCanDo also has some great tips here!
Continue for Danica’s instructions.
Toddler and Baby Bunny and Bear Hat Tutorial
1. Print out pattern pieces for desired size and ear shape. Turn off “page scaling” or “fit to page” in your print dialogue box to make sure the templates print at actual size.
Options include baby and toddler hat sizes and two different ear sizes to make either a bunny hat or a bear hat. To make either a bunny hat or a bear hat, be sure to cut the pattern pieces so the straight edge of the hat pattern is perpendicular to the selvage, so it has more stretch.
2. Cut out two hat pieces and 4 ear pieces.
FOR BABY HAT: cut a 17½” wide x 4″ tall rectangle.
FOR TODDLER HAT: cut a 19½” wide x 5″ tall rectangle.
3. On the wrong side of the fabric, transfer all darts and placement marks on hat and ear pieces.
NOTE: sew all seams at ¼” unless stated otherwise.
1. SEW DART: Sew darts on on hat pieces.
2. SEW EAR PLEATS: Fold ears right sides together, match pleat marks and stitch over mark. Make sure to back stitch at the beginning and end of the mark. This will create a tucked pleat on each ear piece.
3. SEW EARS: Place two ear pieces right sides together and stitch around the curved edge. Repeat with the other two ear pieces. Turn ears right side out, gently using the point of your scissors.
4. SEW EARS TO HAT: Place the raw edge of the ear pieces on the placement marks on one hat piece. Then place the second hat piece on top, right sides together, and pin in place. Stitch around the curved edge of the hat across the sandwiched ear pieces.
5. CREATE CUFF: Take the long rectangle and fold widthwise, right sides together. Sew edges together to create a loop. Fold the loop in half, wrong sides together, to create a cuff. Press in place.
6. SEW CUFF TO HAT: Leaving the hat wrong sides out, place cuff around the outside edge of hat. Pin in place and stitch.
7. TACK CUFF IN PLACE: Turn hat right side out and turn up cuff. Stitch cuff in place on the side seams of the hat.